Do you have a a problem with a high noise floor on HF due to local interference? I did, until I found the excellent Loop On Ground design by KK5JY (http://www.kk5jy.net/LoG/) which totally transformed the receive side of my station. The S9+10dB of noise on 80 meters vanished and was replaced by cleaner signals with an SNR improvement of between 3 to 6dB.
The Loop On Ground (LOG) is a simple antenna made up in it’s original design from a 15′ x 15′ square of wire laid on the ground, fed via an isolated ferrite transformer and connected to a receiver with coax cable. I’ve used both the 50 ohm and 75 ohm version but can’t detect any difference so you can choose which version is best for your needs. I’ve also found that the original 15′ x 15′ version works well on 40 meters and up and a larger version made from a 25′ x 25′ square works better for me on the lower bands like 60, 80 and 160 meters.
The core is a genuine Fair-Rite and is wound with a tough PVC coated wire to prevent shorts that can occur with enamelled wire. The enclosure is a genuine high quality Hammond with 2 flanges to allow pegging down. All the nuts and bolts are marine grade A4 Stainless Steel with wing nuts for the loop connection to allow an easy install and quality coax connectors are used on both versions. The box is fully potted to ensure excellent weather protection and provide a long service life (new feature from 21/12/2020). Once installed, I suggest a wrap of self amalgamating tape around the coax connector and a smear of Vaseline on the loop connections to keep them corrosion free.
You can choose between two different versions which have different transformers based on the desired output impedance:
- 50 ohm (supplied with a BNC connector to use with common 50 ohm coax like RG58)
- 75 ohm (supplied with an F Type connector to use with 75 ohm satellite TV coax like CT100 )
You can also choose between several different element options:
- No element (transformer only and supplied with 2 x 4.3mm insulated crimp terminals and 2 lengths of glue lined heat shrink ready for you to terminate your own element)
- 60′ element (as per KK5JY original design, marked at 15′ intervals with heat shrink and supplied with pre terminated 4.3mm insulated crimps, soldered and protected with glue lined heat shrink)
- 100′ element (in my experience, better for the low bands, marked at 25′ intervals with heat shrink and supplied with pre terminated 4.3mm insulated crimps, soldered and protected with glue lined heat shrink)
The element, where supplied, is 2.5mm Tri-rated BS6231 cable supplied in a brown colour. I also include 5 Stainless Steel ground pegs with each element so you have everything you need to install the loop on soft ground (new feature from 01/01/2021).
Please note that all of my products are hand made in my own workshop and may be subject to slight manufacturing variations.